Varsity Football Earns the W against La Sierra for the Colton Crowd

Sophomore running back Brennan Ramos, No. 11, turns the corner against La Sierra.

Isaac Trujillo, Reporter

A huge challenge set for the Yellowjackets resulted in a dominant win, 35-14, at home against the La Sierra Eagles last Friday.

Heading into this big challenge ahead of them, Head Coach Shaun Collins commented about how he wants to see the team perform: “I just want people to come out to support the team. I expect everyone to play 110% every game, I expect amazing plays on both sides of the ball.” He added about La Sierra saying, “I have no idea what the score will be but I do expect a challenge.”

He received what he expected. Overall everybody did an amazing job on both sides of the ball, but there is still one player that outshined the Eagles all game: junior running back, Mario Fierro III.

Fierro was a one man wrecking crew: he caused four fumbles and recovered two of them, being outstanding on defense with coverage and made six tackles. On offense, Fierro  picked up three bad snaps and ran up field for an average gain of four yards per fumble. Fierro feels as if he could’ve done better if not due to a leg injury, and he wants to make sure that Colton’s second string sophomore running back Brennan Ramos does not go unrecognized. He says “he always fights first extra yards and never has a loss of yards in any series he runs the ball.” Along with Ramos, he wants all recognition to go to his fellow teammates and coaches.

Also providing tape for the highlight reel was junior running back Lawrence Campbell, who contributed three of the five touchdowns the Jackets scored that night, one of them being a kick return.

With an early lead, at 1:20 in the first quarter, #2 Max Morales recovered a blocked field goal. In the last three plays of the game, defensive end and center, junior David Corral, blocked the final pass thrown by the Eagles.

One final touchdown secured the win for the Yellowjackets, crushing the Eagles and sending them back to La Sierra with a loss.