Dress code enforcement unequal at CHS

Audrey Leonard, Reporter

Colton High’s dress code states that no student should wear any article of clothing that might be a safety hazard, causes distraction, disrupts campus order, or “is in conflict with the district’s goals and philosophy of the prevention of substance abuse and gang activity.” There are nine separate guidelines that cover body art, clothing, and other accessories.

“The reason we enforce it [dress code] so much is because we want students to come to school dressed and ready to learn.” said Principal Joda Murphy in an interview about dress code regulations.

There have been many times I have seen male students violate the dress code, and not get written up for it! It’s like when anyone sees a male violating it, they turn away and pretend not to notice. There’s such a double standard when it comes to the dress code and I don’t think anyone notices that.

Girls can get a dress code violation for showing their shoulders, their bra straps–even a little bit of their stomachs–but guys can run around at PE shirtless and wear tank tops and not even have to worry about getting a dress code violation.

I don’t understand why a girl can’t wear shorts or a tank top to school. I’ve seen girls wear shorts that covered them and tank tops that also covered them who STILL got written up. I will never understand why they would feel the need to write a girl up for dress code and send her to the office to change, causing her to miss valuable class time. Do they ever think to ask the class, “Hey, are you distracted by this girl’s shoulder? What about that bra strap?” I’m pretty sure the other students dont even notice, and if they do, I doubt it even bothers them.

I don’t see how someone’s outfit could be distracting someone else from getting their education unless it has flashing lights on their shirt or they’re completely naked. If attire doesn’t distract the other students who are actually in the class, then it should not violate the dress code.

Recently, a female student wearing a Marilyn Monroe shirt where Monroe is wearing a ONE PIECE bathing suit, was told to zip her sweater up for violating dress code. But any male student can wear a shirt with a woman on it with her breasts out and having nothing but her hands cover a small portion of them and the teacher won’t even flinch. Addressing this, Principal Murphy said, “Yeah, they [guys] shouldn’t be [allowed to wear those type of shirts without getting dress code]”.

I also don’t get why it depends on teachers. Some teachers are cool with you wearing whatever, some follow the handbook, and some go a little overboard with it. But if you’re going to have an entire section on how students should dress, then the staff should all enforce the dress code consistently. All the teachers should treat males and females the same. If they’re violating dress code, then write them up. Don’t just sit there because you want to be a “cool” teacher and not give kids dress code or you are too lazy to write them up.

At Colton High, enforcement of the dress code is a lot heavier on girls than it is with boys, when it should be equal. If I can’t wear a tank top because it’s distracting the class from learning, then a guy shouldn’t be able to wear a tank top either.