Why do so many students fail classes? They might just be tired.

Jaime Mendez, Reporter

Every year over 1.2 million students in the United States drop out of high school. That’s about 1 student every 26 seconds, or 7,000 a day. One in five freshman high school students in America fail to graduate on time.

People  right away assume it’s the students fault or it’s the student who is a slacker, but maybe that’s not the case. What if the reason the United States has so many students dropping out of high school and failing is because of a teacher who isn’t doing her job correctly? What if the teacher is not explaining the subject the way it is supposed to be taught?  This can make it harder for the student. 

“With everything happening in the world today,” says an anonymous senior, “I do believe  teachers could be going after students and do want them to fail, because the fewer people that pass, the better for the government, because the less smarter to people to deal with.” An interesting theory, to say the least.

One teacher has this to say:  “Students are young and think it is not important to pay attention in school right now and that’s why they are failing to pass and graduate on time.”

It is obvious there are multiple sides in this issue.

It’s also assumed that maybe it’s because students are not getting enough rest. One overworked soul put it this way:  “We go to school 5 days a week, we have to be at school at 7 a.m., stay in school 7 hours a day, only have 2 days off, and still have to do homework for each class. These are kids, not some superhuman.”

I agree. Studies show if a human does not get the amount of rest needed they are not able to function right. How do they expect students to graduate and succeed on time under these circumstances?