Rivalry with Grand Terrace fueled by hatred, bitterness

Colton High, home to the YellowJackets, has been around since 1895. Colton High has grown into a family, and this family couldn’t have any more pride in their town and their school. Colton Pride is legendary.

Grand Terrace High, home to the Titans, has been around for three years, Three years of pride, three years of ups and downs, and three years of learning not nearly as much as Colton. But it’s something.

Rivalries, especially school rivalries, evolve over time. But are we experiencing, and a part of the beginning of, a huge rivalry? Stop for a moment and think about it:  why the rivalry?

Colton lost many students and staff members due to the opening of Grand Terrace High School. The bitterness is clear but should not be acceptable. GT has no reason for the hatred towards CHS; the hate seems to be much stronger from the GT side.

There is no clear reason for this rivalry but it seems to be getting bigger every year because of jealousy, bitterness, and hate.

Grand Terrace freshman coach, Myley Herrera, agrees the rivalry is getting out of hand. With he being an alumni from Colton and now a Titan coach, his heart is split in two. He compares the rivalry to a sibling rivalry, saying “I’m rooting for Colton every week unless it’s against us.”

Although Herrera believes the rivalry between the parents and students is getting out of hand, he loves the “playoff atmosphere” that the rivalry brings. Herrera explains that the classless acts that are occurring, such as the destruction of school property and theft, is out of control and it should be stopped or both schools will get a bad reputation. Herrera concluded with compassion, “I love Colton football, but I’m a part of Grand Terrace football now.”

For the record, and just so we don’t forget, not too many nights ago was the big Colton vs. Grand Terrace football game and for the third year in a row Colton won and crushed the dreams that Grand Terrace had of beating Colton for the 2014-15 school year.

Colton’s long legacy will outlast Grand Terrace most definitely. The Titans might have a good chance at being just as great as the YellowJackets–because under every Titan, there’s a YellowJacket.

$225
$3000

Your donation will support the student journalists of Colton High School - CA. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.

Justice Sandoval, Editor in Chief
$225
$3000

Activate Search