News Brings Light to Slave Trade Markets in Libya

Aneesa Arana, Sports Editor

Recently, Libya has investigated the migrants being sold into slave trade. Light was brought to this horrifying event when a video of men were being sold for $400 in Libya. Fortunately, last Wednesday the following countries have made an agreement to come together to evacuate these migrants: Libya, France, Germany, Niger, Chad, and four others. Hand in hand with the United Nations’ refugee agency, Libya flew almost 300 Nigerians back to their home the night before this agreement was made.
It has been said by Moussa Faki Mahamat, a top official of the African Union, that there is an estimated 400,000 to 700,000 of people being held against their will in Libya. The first official evacuation plan for the migrants to be brought back home was made on Wednesday, this plan is an opportunity for almost 4,000 migrants to be brought back to their homes.

CNN was told that these trades and auctions were in nine locations, but they believe that there could possibly be many more locations where this is happening.

United Nations has estimated that the number of migrants in Libya has reached 700,000. Stories of enslavement, beatings, kidnappings, and much more have been told by the migrants crossing the Mediterranean, according to CNN.

Hopefully, the victims of the slave trades in Libya can be returned safely to their homes. Serious action needs to take place if the world wants to see a major change. Staying informed, staying safe, and helping out can make a world of difference.

Keeping Colton High School informed and entertained since 1917