District aims to improve food choices on campuses

Margaret Marin, Reporter

Recently a handful of students got to participate in the Colton Joint Unified School District Nutrition service’s annual food show to help select food items from participating vendors for the newest addition of the 2017/2018 school lunch menu.

CJUSD Nutrition Services announced their new school lunch items from participating vendors such as Pick Up Stix, Food 4 Kids, Acosta and much more. Pick Up Stix is offering five new flavors to spice up their chicken and provide a better and wider variety of flavors. These flavors include ‘Spicy House Chicken with Chili Paste’, ‘Spicy General Orange Chicken with Sriracha’, ‘Spicy General’s Orange with Chili Paste’, and ‘Firecracker Chicken’. Food 4 Kids provides four different types of flavor raisins such as ‘Sour Pineapple’  and ‘Sour Lemon’ which by the way are actually pretty good. Acosta offered ‘BBQ Pork Sandwiches’ and ‘Cheese Calzone’. If you’re looking for something sweet look no further. Acosta’s ‘Pumpkin Slice’ is the perfect size and amount for your craving. Elite provides a much more authentic plate that includes ‘Cilantro Rice’, ‘Southwest Black Bean and Sacramento Rice Shaker Salad’ and even ‘Chips with Salsa’.       

There over fifty new food items that will be added to sixteen out of seventeen lunch menus throughout the district. If you’re planning on attending this year’s summer school session, you may get a chance to taste a few of the food items as they will be served this session.