Jury still out on Common Core benefits, especially in math

Angelique Danovaro, Reporter

Is our school district setting students up for failure?

The district is now requiring math teachers to teach students a new learning method, based on the national “Common Core” standards. Algebra I and II teachers say that Common Core drastically drops students grades. On the other hand, geometry teachers say that they’ve noticed an increase in students grades.

Roxanne Berch, Algebra II teacher, says the district shouldn’t just hand a new method that requires experience and understanding to the students. Berch says “The students should be introduced to Common Core for many years before they have all their standards changed and have to learn it while still trying to comprehend math.” She says she either has to spend more time on that one lesson or she has to keep up with the required time slot it gives and let the students fall behind.

Geometry teacher Elaine Fresco says that she’s noticed her students’ grades increase and that she likes the Common Core method because the answers aren’t handed to the students, that they need to work for their grade. Fresco also says the Common Core is more in geometry’s favor. Algebra teachers say they would prefer the old standards that students understand it better and faster than Common Core. They say Common Core is harder for the students to learn  in algebra since it doesn’t work in their favor.