Watching what the cops do? We have an APP for that

We have apps for mostly anything. We even have apps that allows users on the front lines to upload clashes instantaneously to the internet.

With protests rising in cities and across country, many protesters come ready to roll the cameras since events of alleged police brutality in Ferguson, New York, and now Baltimore. And now, unlike days gone by, protester come armed with tools from the digital age– a handful of new smartphone apps to help ensure that the user will be able to get their video out to the public before the police beats the user to it and destroys the footage themselves.

CNET’s Bridget Carey, a media expert, says, “You are seeing most instances of cops perhaps trying to  stop someone from recording an incident that’s going on, so there has been a movement to have apps that make it easier for you to not just record something on your phone but get it up on YouTube immediately without having to fiddle around and save it.”

Ever notice that on some YouTube videos you’ll see cops trying to stop someone from recording them? There exist a few apps that will make recording law enforcement a much simpler task.

One of the most popular apps which was created by Network. Cop Watcher is a free app that allows users to record, and as soon as its launched, it’s uploaded to YouTube automatically. Cop Watcher available for iPhone, iPod Touch, and iPad.

Another app that’s available for both Android and Apple devices is FiVo Film. It’s an app that is similar to Cop Watcher but only costs $1.99, but has the ability to instantly save video to their phone and uploading it to the internet.

Being embraced by the movement, Bambuse was not designed for police protests. It started in Finland and Sweden by self described “ninja.” Quick and easy capture allows video streaming service to capture and share watch video broadcast for mobile phone and even a computer. Bambuse only has the ability to upload video to social networks including Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr. The service gives you 250 hours of viewing with only a basic plan of $45 a month.

“You have a right to record in public as long as you’re not personally interfering with what’s going on,” Carey points out.

$225
$3000

Your donation will support the student journalists of Colton High School - CA. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.

Alexis Ponce, Reporter
$225
$3000

Activate Search