Snapchat getting popular, but can ads be far behind?

Snapchat me a picture of them ads!

Snapchat is a very popular photo messaging app used by millions of people. It started as an idea in April, 2011 and actually became an application in July 2011. Stanford University graduates Reggie Brown and Josh Meyers are the creators of this photo messaging application.

50% of all snapchat users are under the age of 25. At one point Facebook tried buying out Snapchat but Snapchat CEO Evan Spiegel rejected their offer. The app is valued at $800 million.

The photo messaging app will soon include advertising. The ads will appear in the users feed, and include ads from about a dozen media companies like newspapers, magazines, and television networks. The users many not like the ads but it will bring money to Team Snapchat to make improvements and fix bugs. There have been lots of complaints about it crashing a lot.

Some people won’t care if they get ads but others will react differently. Colton High freshman Johanna Moreno said “I really enjoy Snapchat, it’s what i mostly go on when I use my phone.” She also said, “If snapchat got ads in the app it would be very annoying, there is no need for the ads.”

Senior Gerardo Ramirez agreed: “I wouldn’t like getting interrupted while I’m enjoying using the app.” People that used other apps with ads got tired with the ads and quit using them. Whether this happens to Snapchat remains to be seen.

$735
$10000

Gorge Serrano
Gorge Serrano, Reporter
$735
$10000

Activate Search