New social science teacher brings a deep love of learning and teaching to Colton High

Dr.+Jessica+Cannaday+prepares++a+lesson+about+supply+and+demand+for+her+economics+students+before+school+begins.+

J. Dollins

Dr. Jessica Cannaday prepares a lesson about supply and demand for her economics students before school begins.

Erin Dallatorre, Pepper Bough Staff Writer

History is arguably the most important core curriculum learned by students. Since we need great teachers to teach these classes, we obviously need Dr. Jessica Cannaday.

This is Dr. Cannaday’s first year at CHS, and she has a lot of knowledge to share.

While growing up, Dr. Cannaday had rather rough family circumstances. She grew up with six siblings—including her twin—in Iowa. At the age of 14 she lost her mother, and her father raised the family as a single parent.

Despite her family’s struggles, Dr. Cannaday continued to achieve, and has so much to teach her students.

Dr. Cannaday is a well-educated teacher. For her bachelor’s degree, she majored in Political Science and International Relations, while minoring in History and Music. Afterwards, she went on to earn her master’s and doctorate degrees.

Before deciding to become a teacher, Dr. Cannaday had her eyes set on being a diplomat. But when she was set to take the necessary test to do so, it got cancelled the year she graduated college. So she returned to school to get her master’s in social studies education and has loved teaching ever since.

CHS is not Dr. Cannaday’s first teaching position. She taught at other high schools in Rialto and the state of Iowa. However, once she received her Ph.D., she started teaching at Azusa Pacific University, where she worked for the past 14 years.

Her love of teaching drives her so much, she even taught a Drum and Bugle Corps during the summers while at the university.

The COVID-19 pandemic, family circumstances, and recommendations encouraged her to come teach in Colton, and she believes it was a great decision.

“I am really loving it at CHS,” Dr. Cannaday said. “My students are awesome. They are smart, kind, generally respectful and enthusiastic. They are funny and fun.”

Currently, she teaches U.S. History, Economics, and will teach Principles of Democracy during 2nd semester.

Dr. Cannaday hopes that students will leave her class seeing things they couldn’t before and for them to feel like they have gained useful skills. She also strives to help and encourage students to be as successful as they can be.

“Social Sciences benefits humanity on the whole. If you haven’t learned the basics you don’t know how to interact in society and to speak up for your own natural and civil rights,” she explained. “Each of us should be aware of our inherent purpose and value from that perspective, and therefore should know the processes by which to participate in our representative government to stand up for our rights and make a difference in our own lives.”