When a 12 year old dies, you ask, “WHY?”

Dominick Gallegos, forever in our memories

User

Justice Sandoval, Editor-in-Chief

Dominick Gallegos, Grant Elementary student, collapsed and died at school, and the community mourns

Death is inevitable and will come at a time no one would expect, lIke when you’re sending your 12 year old son to school.

Tuesday April, 12 was a day that changed lives in the Colton community. News of 12 Dominick Gallegos passing on the playground at Grant elementary school spread through the city like wildfire.Theories were quick to follow, some were saying he collapsed while running and others say he was bullied to death.

11 year old Xavier Sandoval saw it all and explained that Gallegos was running during a game of soccer, then grabbed his chest and collapsed. “When I saw the ambulance I knew something was very wrong,” Sandoval said, while looking up with confusion and heartache in his eyes.

The autopsy came back days after, stating “Preliminary autopsy findings indicate an enlarged heart and evidence of early congestive cardiac failure.” He was declared dead within an hour of collapsing. Medical reports released indicated there were no signs of damage to Gallegos’ body.

When everyone heard the news it was hard not to choke up whether you knew him or not. Many people joined the candle lighting held the day of his death at Grant. No one left there with dry eyes. The thought of a young child dying and in front of other kids is a heartbreaking image. Everyone’s heart and thoughts go out to the Gallegos family and teaches us all to hug our loved ones tighter and tell them we love them everyday. Life is unexpected and one day you may be waiting for your loved one to walk through your front door once again but be left with only one question, Why?