Girls Volleyball Gets Last Minute Victory in Last Set

Vincent Lopez, Reporter

The Colton Girls Varsity Volleyball made a splash in the Sunkist League as they beat Norte Vista in Three Sets, 3-1. With a combination of blocking shots and spiking it straight down into their face, Colton had an answer to whatever the Braves planned to gain the upperhand. They had a big challenge as Norte Vista was looking to come off a loss to Perris in the previous game.

Starting the night off with the freshmen game, the Colton volleyball team lost a valuable player do to prior injury in Jolie Canas, causing the team to play without a leader. Freshman Stephanie Gutierrez said, “I feel anxious because some of there players will need to step up their game and set more passes and its gonna be bit of a challenge without there main libero (AKA.best passer).” Stephanie states, “We are good individually but as a unit we are great ”April Orozco, a freshman player, also commented, “Preseason didn’t matter but the loss makes the players work harder and encourages them to do better.” The Freshmen volleyball team lost set one, 25 to 22 and the second set, 25 to 16 in a close game as they played as a unit, blocking shots and made great passes.

The Varsity volleyball team are hungry for a victory after a Freshman loss, as they face the opposition varsity team. After one set, the team moved as one, saved bad passes, dove for the ball and spiked it into the corners where no one was as they won 25-23. In the second set, they lost 25-16 as they let that one slip away. In the third set, came back as they won 25-20. In the final set, they won 25-16 the varsity add on another win to their season record.