Boys Baseball loses close fight with SkyHawks

Andrew Bernales, Reporter

On Wednesday, April 28th, the Colton baseball team had a close battle against the Summit Skyhawks, but came up short with a score of 8-7.  In the first inning Colton tried had a huge lead but pop flies and strikeouts, which gave the YellowJackets a one run lead.  However, in the bottom of the 1st Summit takes the lead 3-1. In the 2nd, it was an easy shutout inning for Summit as they gained another run, with the score of 4-1. Things didn’t look so good for the YellowJackets as they completed another inning scoreless. However with a run on second and third Summit hit one out to deep left center bringing in two ending that inning 6-1.

By 4th inning, Colton tried to make a comeback and did as they scored two runs from a base hit by Senior, Jordan Campa.  Summit then started to relax and let their guard down which finished the inning scoreless.  By 6th Colton starts to rally up and from a big hit by Alex McKinnon brings in two runners and stays and second base.  Summit starts to worry and walks two runners having bases loaded.  Then, Freshman, Jacob Rubio hit a line drive to right field which would bring in an additional two runners to end the inning, 7-6.  In the 8th inning Summit would score a run tying the score 7-7.  Colton tried to take back the lead in the 9th inning but only gave Summit and easy shutout.  With only two outs to go into bottom inning Colton pitches a low fastball perfect for a Summit home run, giving them the win.