Processing the unbelievable is sometimes hard

Lucas Drakes mug shot, as published on numerous websites. Photo from San Bernardino County Sheriffs Office.

Lucas Drake’s mug shot, as published on numerous websites. Photo from San Bernardino County Sheriff’s Office.

Margaret Marin, Reporter

High school is no stranger to rumors on campus and every so often, stories are published about teacher/minor relations. But, who would have known it could happen to one of our very own here at Colton High?

By now, most have heard of the situation with one of our teachers here on campus. English teacher Lucas Drake is under investigation for allegedly contacting a minor on social media and for engaging in sexual acts. The district put out a statement saying the minor is not a student in our district.

The news came as quite a shock to students and faculty. This accusations made against Drake are a touchy subject, but they should not be sugar coated. The alleged acts are wrong on so many levels especially if you’re a teacher who works with students around the same age as the minor. I used to think situations like these only happen on television shows like Law and Order and NCIS, then I realized it was reality. Is it a good reality? Definitely not.

I definitely feel students and faculty have the right to feel upset over the situation and they also have the right not to care. Drake teaches probably over a hundred students so it’s safe to say these accusations affect them all, not to mention his  former students, friends, and colleagues.    Now that Drake is on leave until the investigation finishes, his students have to deal with long term subs.

A teacher is supposed to be one whom students can look up to and trust. We see them five days out of the week, (and that’s probably more time than we communicate with our parents.), and for some they become family. So having something like the Drake case happen could affect some students’ views on teachers. Personally, it doesn’t affect how I see my teachers until they give me a reason to change my view of them.

Some things we do need to remember as a community: we don’t know the whole story. We only know what the media gives us. If the accusations made against Drake are true–and we can’t know one way or the other until the whole process is played out– then I think he knew what he was doing and a minor can’t give their own consent.

If you feel affected by the situation, talk to someone. Go and talk to your parents, teachers, friends, or anyone who could help you. As a high school, and a city, we’ll maybe someday move past the Drake case. This is one of many situations we will face, but we will overcome any in our way. Just remember, there are always two sides to a story.