GT/CHS rivalry takes a new turn with this year’s football tussle

Angelique Danovaro, Reporter

image01From C-Town to Titan town, students, players, and fans were talking about the big Colton vs Grand Terrace football game. What’s the big fuss about Colton playing against Grand Terrace? While Grand Terrace has only been in existence for a few short years, that hasn’t prevented a fierce cross-town rivalry from developing amongst the two sister schools. 

It hasn’t always been that way. Over the history of Colton High, rivalries have come and gone. In the 50s, 60s and 70s, it seemed our main rival was San Bernardino. Then, Bloomington High came along in 1962 and there was a “new kid on the block,” as far as high schools in the district. And now, there’s GT. All anyone wants to talk about is beating Grand Terrace.

Here at Colton any time one of the teams plays against GT that’s when all the fans come out in big numbers to show support. Just recently Colton football played against Grand Terrace football (November 6, 2015) and the heart of Colton came out and supported the team at the game. You saw families from the first generation to their last generation–grandparents, aunts, uncles, moms, dads, cousins and so on were all at the game. That’s how it is with Colton: it’s always about family.

Colton had a winning streak against Grand Terrace, 3-0, winning all three years they played. Sadly on that Friday,  Colton took their first lost by a score of 34-13.

“Victory has many fathers but defeat is an orphan

— Senior Jason Perez

.

The city of Colton was still proud of their boys. Colton fans weren’t just there for the rivalry or the thrill of the game, they were there to support their boys for the love of Colton–not to say they won– (although we also would’ve been happy with the win) but for their city.

The rivalry became especially heated this year, evidenced by posters spotted around Grand Terrace’s campus. With the game about a week or two away, posters began appearing of a “dead Yellowjacket” bleeding from where its stinger should be. Another poster spotted at GT said, “Pucker up and kiss your winning streak goodbye.”

image00Not only did the GT administration allow the posters to be hung up, but throughout the two weeks on social media Grand Terrace students/residents were trash talking Colton High. Why all the animosity? Many of the haters are probably Colton babies, or have a long line of family members who have attended Colton High.

It remains to be seen whether this rivalry will devolve into a good natured competition, or get uglier. Here’s hoping for the former rather than the latter.