Girls sports get a raw shake here at CHS

There has not been a point in life where women were treated better nor equally as men. Why is this?  Since the beginning of time men have believed that women are weaker, physically and mentally.

Times are different now right? It’s the 21st century women should be treated equally. Most people are still stuck in the past, giving women less than what they deserve. We should not be bringing this segregation into our schools, teach the kids different. The school districts are not giving a good example of “all people are treated equal.” They feel that they are doing whatever they can to make everyone feel the same but it is just not working. A huge part of this favoritism is sports, the boy athletes receive more credit and equipment than girl athletes do.

August through November is nothing but football but did we forget about the other sports during that time? Volleyball and tennis, girl sports, they get no recognition when they are in the shadow of football.  We have Prep-Rally’s when our boys have a big game against Grand Terrace, but when the girls play against them they are lucky to receive an announcement in the morning.

The basketball team is another team that impacts Colton in a big way, you’ll catch almost everyone at one of the games. The cheerleaders are always there cheering for the basketball boys but, not for the girls. They need a cheerful crowd just as much as the boys.

Baseball and softball season is just right around the corner and it’s brought to our attention that the softball team still has no score board, the baseball team does. The boy’s fields get taken care better than the girls fields do, or field should be the preference since it is one large field separated in the middle. Baseball has two whole fields for their players.

Colton high staff is blinded to this problem. Both, baseball and softball varsity coaches agree there is no favoritism whatsoever. It is hard to believe that they think both girls and boys sports are equal. The athletic director says he works hard to make sure both males and females at CHS get the same recognition.

Both boys and girls sports here at Colton High work hard to get the right recognition. They all need Colton’s support and love to push them to do the best that they can.

$225
$3000

Your donation will support the student journalists of Colton High School - CA. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.

Justice Sandoval, Editor in Chief
$225
$3000

Activate Search