Keeping Colton High School Informed Since 1917

Illegal immigrants soon to be on the road

Documented or not, if you have the driving skills, you’ll be on the road soon.

Proposed by President Obama this year, illegal immigrants will soon be able to apply for a drivers license here in the United States.

Until now, drivers licenses were only given to legal residents of the United States, but now this could change. With millions of undocumented foreigners  living and working here in the US, many of them are in a struggle to be able to drive or even drive without an actual driver’s license. If these folks can’t all leave, we must try to incorporate them into our society; even though they are already living among us.

Assembly Bill No.60 passed on October 3rd, 2013, states that illegal immigrants can get driving privileges starting January 1st of 2015. Alone in the state of California there about 1.4 million unlicensed and uninsured drivers. This bill will also improve the safety on the road by giving unlicensed drivers the skills to actually be the road. This bill would give illegal immigrant permission to drive anywhere just as if they were an actual resident of the United States. Under federal law you need proof that you are an American citizen to get a drivers license, but this bill lets you apply for a license without that proof.

This bill will improve the quality of driving on the road and decrease the number of accidents caused by inexperienced drivers. In a sense this is a pro for both legal and illegal residences here but who know what the true outcome of this bill will be when it is put into effect.

Donate to The Pepper Bough
$735
$10000
Contributed
Our Goal

Recently, the CHS Publications Department experienced a major theft as over $20,000 in photography equipment was stolen from our studio over Spring Break. This included all cameras. Any amount you donate will help rebuild our program. Thank you!

About the Contributor
Rickey Ramirez
Rickey Ramirez, Reporter
Donate to The Pepper Bough
$735
$10000
Contributed
Our Goal

Activate Search