Keeping Colton High School Informed Since 1917

Pepper Bough back on top with First Place award

Every year the American Scholastic Press Association gives an award to the best high school journalism programs in America. There were 15 high schools in California that got first place for their newspaper  work this year. One of those schools happens to be your very own Colton High.

The Pepper Bough has won 1st place in this prestigious national contest for the last six out of seven years. (Last year was the year first place slipped out of the staff’s hands; the Pepper Bough took a second)

English teacher David Rainey has been the newspaper adviser for 19 years. When asked about being back on top, he responded with “I feel we got back to our home, where we belong. When Editor in Chief Jeremy Valadez took the helm this year, he pledged one thing: to get a First Place award. And he did it! Of course, with the help of a fantastic, hard working staff.”

Next year the staff are looking forward to new things in the journalism program, such as new learning methods, new reporters, and a new computer lab. The Pepper Bough is nearing its 100th anniversary (it began publication here on campus in 1917) and Rainey says “I love my job advising the staff. There’s never a dull moment, and we work hard to keep Colton High informed and entertained. To be recognized as one of the best high school papers in the country is really special.”

Donate to The Pepper Bough
$225
$3000
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Colton High School - CA. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.

About the Contributor
Justice Sandoval, Editor in Chief
Donate to The Pepper Bough
$225
$3000
Contributed
Our Goal

Activate Search