CHS and Heal the Bay partner for Earth Day

Vanessa Villanueva, Reporter

Colton High School’s environmental club spent the day interacting with Heal the Bay on April 15th. Heal the Bay is an organization that works to promote the conservation of the ocean via hands on volunteer work as well as through educational means. Our very own Eco Friendly Friends have volunteered with the organization multiple times in the past however this Saturday would prove to be a new experience.

This time rather than directly picking up the trash and recording the findings for statistics, the club was part of the administering process. Showing up at an earlier time, they helped with all of the setup that needed to be done which included setting up workstations and organizing supplies that would be used in the cleanup.

With the guidance of Heal the Bay coordinators, our club members were able to help the crowds of volunteers as they worked to better the environment. With a smooth ending to the earth day cleanup, the club took the time to explore and grab some lunch in the area before returning for a Heal the Bay showcase.

The environmental club had been invited to this showcase as it featured the art of various groups including their own. The contest featured pieces that aimed at inspiring people to take action concerning ocean conservation, all expressed via poetry, prose, art, or film.

Earning an honorable mention for their submission, Eco Friendly Friends were recognized for both their pieces of prose and poetry that shed light on the environmental issues facing our ocean today.