Yellowjackets look back fondly on Middle School teachers

Joshua Sandoval, Reporter

Middle school, it seems so far away. Looking back on it there isn’t a lot that you miss, right? Well, maybe there is: in fact, that’s the case most of the time.

There may be that time when your friend did something funny, or that class you really liked. One of the many things that seems to stick with us are the teachers, no matter what grade we’re in.

Juniors definitely had a lot to say about teachers and what they should be. Teachers are a big part of school, obviously. Without them there wouldn’t even have school. Teachers are the sole embodiment of the education system–but what is a teacher?

Junior Dominic Diaz says, “They should be nice, strict enough, but not too strict to where students wouldn’t want to comply.” Junior Victor Banuet especially likes it when his teachers give him extra credit.

This is just High school, though. They gave simple answers to simple questions. They didn’t expect to think back to their middle school years now four years behind them. Funny enough though, a fan favorite, and “most missed” among the three, was Colton Middle School teacher Mr. Cruz. Another teacher who definitely deserved this interview was Ms. Jara- Williamson (Personally my favorite too.) She was mentioned by Dominic alongside his pick of Cruz.

Cruz seemed surprised to hear that his old students still miss him–surprised, but happy, nevertheless. He remembered all three too, even listing what made them memorable: Dominic, for trying his best and being such a jokester; Victor, for his flamboyant personality; and Andrew, for his hard work. In fact, this is what Andrew had to say to Cruz; “Thank you for making me realize school is important.” Of course Cruz was ecstatic to hear this, and he looked quite pleased to see he has left such an impact on him.

Jara-Williamson was surprised to hear she’s still thought about, too. “Flattered, highly flattered that 11th graders still think of me,” she said. This particular flatterer would be Dominic, as mentioned before. She remembers him as being a fun student and fun to teach. Being a part of her first class at Colton Middle definitely contributes to his memories.

As also being a part of first class at Colton Middle, I feel as if I should say something too. If I were to say something to Williamson it’d be, “Thank you for caring. I have a hard time trusting people, but I felt as if I could tell you everything. In which I did, we talked almost any time we got the chance and we talked about anything. From our overlapping interests to any problems I had you sat there and you listened. It was then I knew I was cared for. I couldn’t have asked for a better teacher, and I probably won’t get one unless it’s you.” I think that’s an acceptable quote for this teacher.

Elementary, Middle, or High school, we all have memories from each stage. Including a teacher that will stay in our hearts and mind till the end of time. Teachers definitely deserve to be in the spotlight, and everyone has a teacher they want to put in it.