Aasiya-bey takes on adviser role for THREE clubs

Desiree Luna, Reporter

Looking for fun, interesting, and educational clubs here at Colton High School? Well you’re in luck, because Science teacher Dawud  Aasiya-bey is the head adviser for three clubs of which you can chose. His clubs are: BSU (Brothers and Sisters United), AP honors Bio, and Video Game club.

Aasiya-bey has been teaching at Colton High for twelve years. He adopted all three clubs besides AP honors which he created himself. He tells me well scratching his head for the third time already that he created this club “to reach out to the school and get students to interact with not only science but also other students,” also because he loves life science. He is especially excited about AP honors Bio field trip to Catalina coming up soon in March.

The field trip will cost about $250 per student, but  Aasiya-bey will not let expensives stop students from coming. “We raise money by selling things. Like chocolate and we also find sponsors to help fund us. Our goal is to get 30 students to go to the field trip.”

Aasiya-bey speaks with such excitement that the field trip will last 3 days on Catalina Island exploring life science on the Island. “I encourage students to join this Club,” says Aasiya-bey.  “It is a great way to interact with other students, it looks good on college resume, if you’re behind in Biology this club will surely help you, and plus other students can help tutor others and, well helping someone else you will also be learning. And it’s just fun!”

AP honors bio is a great, fun educational club, and, as Aasiya-bey notes with pride, “clubs are part of the culture of this school”