Anthony Wade is more than just a volleyball coach

Adriana Flores, Reporter

As CHS junior varsity volleyball coach Anthony Wade explains his life–well, all 24 years of it–he taps his fingers against the table nervously. “Don’t run on the red! Run around it,” he yells at the team while looking around to find the right words.

“I am the baby of six, with three half-siblings and one adopted sister,” he said with a smile. Wade lives here locally, coming from San Bernardino to Colton on a daily basis, dressed and ready to coach.

Coach Wade is not just a coach; in fact he act as tutor, a shoulder to lead on and much more if needed. “I just love to help in any way possible, if you need a ride I’m there, if you are short on money just turn around to me I’ll have it out,” he adds.

Young Wade turned in the baseball cleats, football pads, basketball shorts, running shoes, and singlets for volleyball gear, “My friend Emosi and I thought it would be funny, it all started off as a joke.” (Let’s just say his life evolved around being active, playing ball was literally life for him.)

This funny, easygoing, and strong-minded guy just loves the sport of volleyball, “and believe it or not, but I actually like to teach,” adds Wade.  So of course when the chance of being a high school volleyball coach came his way he took it, but if a higher level offered him to be a coach he would take that spot without a doubt. “Not because I don’t like being a coach for teenagers, don’t get me wrong, I love you guys, but because the money… I would get paid more,” reassuring that this team is a big part of his life.

“Tracy, Monty, and Lauren,” he said, “Those are my best friends…I’ve learned a lot from them as far as dealing with people and they helped me make the right decisions; they keep me motivated,”  Wade said with a look of pride. As he walks up to the team to encourage them to do their best he says, “We will never process if you don’t practice; it takes a different type of person to play volleyball and I believe in each and every one of you. Now let me see what you guys got, go warm up.”

His grandmother and brother were the two most important people in his life. “My grandmother has always been tough on me and kept me in line,” (Tough love is the best love.) “My brother taught me what was right from wrong based on his personal experiences,” he said with a look of happiness in his eyes when remembering what they did for him.

But that look suddenly changed into fear when he explained his experience with heights and elevators. “I was in an elevator full with people and the doors wouldn’t open. Mind you that I hate small spaces; it just kept going up and down while I was stuck in a corner. It did that about three times until the guys in the front finally got the strength to open it.” The serious look on his face finally changed into relief when he took a deep breath to forget that memory.