Mac Gym has a storied history

Katthy Santiago, Reporter

Has it ever occurred to you who has walked the same path you walk on everyday? In fact, have you ever thought of the school in general? Who built it and when? 

Colton High School was built in 1895. But Colton High wouldn’t have been what it is today until a man with a vision, Donald McIntosh, came along.

McIntosh was a soldier in a hospital unit in World War I who came to Colton High School in the 1920’s. He became both science teacher and baseball coach. Then, by the end of the decade, he took the position as school principal as well as superintendent of the whole district. The school was known as “Colton Union High” at that time.

McIntosh decided to build the gym that now bears his name in the mid-1930’s. At the time, it was referred to as “The million dollar gym.” Originally, it cost $500,000, a huge sum at that time, but including the built-in showers, toilets, etc., it added up to $1 million. The gym was named after McIntosh himself, not only because he held such an important position but because he raised most of the money contributing to the gym’s construction.

The MacIntosh Gym is now the 3rd oldest working school gymnasium in California.

_____________________________

The Pepper Bough is indebted to Assistant Principal Vic Schiro for his valuable assistance in the research for this story.