Danger lurks in the prosaic hand sanitizer bottle

Hand sanitizers kill and get rid of the bad germs, which is a good thing– but maybe using a little too much hand sanitizer to get rid of germs  might not just be such a good idea after all.

Believe it or not, scientists say we need some “good” germs to keep us healthy. Some people might be thinking, ‘’What? We have good germs that keep us healthy?’’ Yes, we need a certain number of bacteria, so we won’t get ill all the time. There’s plenty of other reasons that Germ-X and other hand sanitizers that are not just a good idea to use too much.

Germ=X really doesn’t get rid of the bad germs completely or viruses. Germ X can kill the good bacteria that keeps us healthy. What a hand sanitizer gel really does when rubbed on hands is that when it reaches the surface of bacterium it pulls out the water of bacterium and basically “dries it to death” and that causes the bacteria to die. Sanitizers can also can also stop anti-biotic medications before the medication kicks in fully in your body. Even the FDA, an agency with the U.S department of Health and Human Services, was considering banning hand at one time.

Germ-X can be very dangerous if used improperly. Some people don’t use Germ-X for the intended reason; to get rid of germs. For example, some have figured out a way to light themselves on fire without getting burned, but the fire can catch somewhere else on your body, like your clothes or your hair and next thing you know is that you’re on fire. Hand sanitizers can be very dangerous to little children. who might grab a bottle and probably put it in their mouths. Ingesting the gel is dangerous because it’s nothing but alcohol and that can cause plenty damage to their body. So like any other household product, use at your discretion.

$225
$3000

Your donation will support the student journalists of Colton High School - CA. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.

Fidel Elenes, Reporter
$225
$3000

Activate Search